[back to top]

[ :: Read More :: ]

Here is my recent video review of the GameShell from the perspective of a PICO-8 enthusiast

P#64246 2019-05-08 23:10

P#61444 2019-02-01 20:31 ( Edited 2019-03-03 00:04)

Cart #sanki-2 | 2018-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sanki

It's winter. Let's go sledding. Ride the slope until you stop or crash.

Controls

x/z - confirm
arrow keys - you can turn your sled in the air to pull of some sweet tricks

This is not a game in the traditional sense. There is no score or goal. Just give yourself a minute or two to unwind and enjoy the ride. Happy Holidays!

But what does Sanki mean?

"Sanki" is Polish for "sledding". I grew up in a high-rise suburb of Warsaw. We used to have a lot of snow in winter. Some of my most cherished childhood memories are about going sledding with my friends and family. It was something that brought the entire community together just to have fun and spend time with each other. For some reason this has stuck with me more than the actual Christmas celebrations. It was the inspiration for this little project.

Credits

Design/Art/Code: Krystian Majewski ( @Krystman)
Music: Chris Donnelly (@gruber_music)

About Pico-8 Advent Calender

During December, each day will be filled with new and exciting PICO-8 games! We have gathered 25 great developers from the PICO-8 community and we have worked hard to make some new games. Each day leading up to Christmas, there will be a new surprise for you!

Find out more at: https://pico8-advent.tumblr.com/

And check out the Pico-8 Advent Calendar each day for a new surprise: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=32388

P#60057 2018-12-18 06:29

Cart #56576 | 2018-09-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mai-Chan's Sweet Buns is a cute puzzle game about pastries. Our goal is to help Mai-Chan serve her sweet buns to customers at her bakery.

This game was created as part of the A Game By Its Cover Jam 2018.
https://itch.io/jam/a-game-by-its-cover-2018

How to Play

Dpad (Arrow keys) - Move Cursor
X Button (X or M or V) - Confirm. Serve pastry.
O Button (Z or N or C) - Cancel. Turn cursor.

The 4 cards at the bottom of the screen represent the orders of the customers. Our task is to find and select a line of pastries on the board that matches one of the cards. We can select vertical or horizontal lines. But it needs to be an uniterrupted line of the same pastry.

We can only serve lines of pastries that perfectly match one of the cards. Some orders are easy to satisfy - like the x1 oders. Others may require some setup - like the x3 orders.

If we ever get stuck, we can look into the magical Star Box to activate special powers. Special powers cost stars. We can gain more stars by aligning 4 of the same pastry in a row.

We lose the game if we get stuck and run out of stars. But if we manage to serve all of the order cards in the deck, we win!

Some Background

This game was created as part of the A Game By Its Cover Jam 2018. The goal was to create a game based on of the cartridge covers from the Famicase Exhibition 2018. The cover to Mai-Chan's Sweet Buns was created by Louis Lloyd-Judson.
https://twitter.com/Louistrations

He's the artist of the webcomic Apricot Cookies.
https://apricotcookies.net/

I've livestreamed the entire process here. It seems like it took around 100 hours.

The entire playlist is here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLea8cjCua_P1taIqeYv6mKVdIfIZLFZGK

The music was made by my friend Sebastian Haßler
https://twitter.com/sebashas

P#56575 2018-09-12 14:00 ( Edited 2018-09-19 22:47)

Cart #53976 | 2018-07-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A juicy remake of Breakout/Arkanoid with 15 levels and a highscore list. Created as part of a long-running video tutorial series. If you want to learn how to make a game like this, check out this thread!

How to play

You control the pad at the bottom of the screen. You need to destroy the bricks by hitting them with a ball. If the ball leaves the bottom of the screen you lose. You need to move your pad left and right to keep the ball on the screen.

If you move the pad while you hit the ball, you can change the angle of the ball's trajectory. There are also different powerups, which appear when you destroy a blue block.

Powerups

Orange = Slow - Slows down time
White = Life - Gives you an additional extra life
Green = Sticky - Makes you pad sticky. It makes the ball stick to the paddle so you can launch it again
Blue = Expand - Expands the size of your pad
Black = Reduce - Shrinks you pad but also gives you a 10x score modifier
Red = Megaball - Lets the ball smash through blocks without changing direction
Yellow = Multiball - Splits the ball into two balls. You only lose a life if you lose your last ball

Sudden Death - if there are only 3 bricks left when the ball hits the pad, the game goes into Sudden Death mode. Bricks will start blinking as they are about to explode. If you hit a brick while it's blinking, you'll get extra points.

Scoring

Hitting multiple bricks in a row increases your score multiplier to a maximum of 7x. Hitting the ball with the pad resets the multiplier back to 1x.

Losing all lives resets your score to 0, but you can continue playing. For the highest score possible, try finishing the game without losing your lives.

For an additional challenge and even more points, press up or down on the start screen for Fast Mode.

Let me know if you see any bugs. Otherwise, Enjoy!

P#53977 2018-07-06 17:02 ( Edited 2018-07-11 10:22)

Cart #54038 | 2018-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple, cute retro version of classic Chess made in Pico-8. Full implementation of almost all of the Chess rules with a juicy interface and some basic AI to play against. Created as part of the Chess Jam 2018. Here is the game's entry on itch.io.

Jucy animations were very important to me. My Chess AI will never be competetive. So I focused on the game being pretty, readable and fun to play. I wanted to add even more functions but sadly, I ran out of tokens. I tried to squeeze in as many as I could.

That being said, the Chess AI is kicking my butt. Let me know if you've beaten it. Not sure how smart it really is - my Chess is rusty. Also, let me know if you find any bugs.

Note: Game will not recognize draw by Threefold repetition.

P#52226 2018-05-01 12:55 ( Edited 2018-09-27 23:02)

I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro. I noticed that Pico-8 doesn't respond correctly to touch events. This affects the use of the touchscreen as well as the use of a stylus. I'm using the Surface Pen.

Although you can control the cursor with touch inputs, triggering clicks is difficult. Tap events aren't registered as click. They move the mouse cursor but don't click. Tap and drag is correctly recognized as click and drag. So in order to click you need to basically draw tiny circles with the pen.

I would love to use the pen as a convenient way to do some Pico-8 pixelart on the go.

P#50743 2018-03-23 14:34 ( Edited 2018-09-05 01:25)

Cart #52365 | 2018-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's finally here!. Some of you may have seen the video tutorial I was working on over the year. Well, the game is finally ready to be playtested!

How to play

The game is a straight-forward vanilla Breakout / Arkanoid clone. You need to destroy the bricks by hitting them with a ball. If the ball leaves the bottom of the screen you lose. You need to move your pad left and right to keep the ball on the screen.

There are some finer details that make it more interesting. If you move the pad WHILE you hit the ball, you can change the angle of the ball's trajectory. The ball snaps to 3 different angles. There are also different powerups, which appear when you destroy a blue block.

Playtesting Help!

I need your help playtesting the game. There are 15 levels. I need players, who can beat the game. After the you've beaten the game, please go right on the High Score screen. You'll get a screen with numbers. Make a screenshot of that screen and post it here. They are various stats that I want to keep track of.

Also - of course - please let me know if you encounter any bugs or weird behavior. Also, let me know what you would change about the game.

Thanks in advance! Enjoy!

P#49663 2018-02-25 10:43 ( Edited 2018-06-16 03:08)

So I've heard talk about how the new version allows one to do some basic piracy protection. Presumably by reading the URL of the website a web players is embedded in. Not exactly sure how to implement this. Can anybody post some sample code?

P#48111 2018-01-13 07:25 ( Edited 2018-01-14 18:11)

Cart #34518 | 2016-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This sample code shows how to use particles to create smoke or explosions.

Use direction keys to move the smoke

Press X for a pufft of smoke

Press Y for a big explosion

P#34520 2016-12-30 13:07 ( Edited 2018-01-17 01:13)

Cart #34135 | 2016-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This sample code shows how to add screenshake. It also shows how to fade an image to black using the palette function.

P#34136 2016-12-25 18:29 ( Edited 2017-03-14 09:31)

Cart #33884 | 2016-12-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This sample code shows how to make a simple maze game it uses a map and sprite flags to check for collisions with walls.

Use direction keys to walk. Get the to the cheese.

P#33885 2016-12-21 19:17 ( Edited 2016-12-26 22:58)

Cart #33877 | 2016-12-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This sample code shows how to shoot projectiles aimed at a location.
It also shows how to make an enemy react to being hit.

Use direction keys to walk around
Press (X) to shoot

P#33878 2016-12-21 17:28 ( Edited 2017-03-01 15:23)

A small sample cart to show how simple particles work.

P#33755 2016-12-20 06:48 ( Edited 2017-02-15 10:38)

Cart #33203 | 2016-12-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

So here is a question I have. There is this common issue in Pico-8 that comes up when you move things on the screen diagonally. If the vertical/horizontal speed is not an integer number the moving object will exhibit a jagged, jittery motion. This is due to the fact that Pico-8 doesn't do sub-pixel rendering. So the coordinates of objects snap to integer positions. In certain cases this leads to a kind of "stair-step" trajectory that can look very jittery.

My question: is there a good workaround to deal with this phenomenon? It is not always possible to use integer values for movement speeds after all.

P#33204 2016-12-08 10:53 ( Edited 2016-12-09 19:39)

I started a YouTube series to teach some Pico-8 fundamentals. It is called Pico-8 Hero. In the first "season" we'll be writing a Breakout clone from scratch. It is aimed at people, who have completely no idea how programming works.

I will post more episodes in this thread as they come out.

Pico-8 Overview

#1 - Hello World

#2 - Functions and Variables

#3 - If-Statements

P#32267 2016-11-06 09:19 ( Edited 2018-07-11 11:10)

I experimenting with making music on Pico-8. One thing I'm confused about is the speed value. How does that Number translate into BPM (Beats per Minute)?

P#32014 2016-10-29 10:37 ( Edited 2016-10-29 21:23)